Usually when saffron is harvested, the stigmas are separated from the lower part of the red part called khame(yellowness), so a stigma, in addition to the red part, also has a yellowish-orange part. When there is about 1 to 3 mm of Khame in a string in saffron harvest, it is called Pushal saffron. This category of saffron has more stigmas and as a result will have a higher coloring potency(between 170 to 250 units).
The presence of the yellow part in straw saffron is a sign of the originality of saffron in the eyes of many consumers and buyers. Because the connection of the stigma to the Khame is a strong reason for the health and authenticity of the saffron string, and thus the buyer will be sure that he does not buy counterfeit saffron (how to distinguish genuine saffron from fake saffron). Another reason that buyers are interested in buying straw saffron is the existence of a complete range of saffron and therefore having all the properties of saffron.
The Pushal saffron is dried in such a way that the filaments are red and bulky, and is usually divided into the following 3 categories based on the amount of stigma friction, the amount of Khame attached to it, as well as the amount of coarseness. In the following, we will introduce these 3 categories so that you have enough information when buying Pushal saffron.
Pushal saffron catefories
- Grade 1 or ghalamdar Pushal saffron: This category is one of the best types of Pushal saffron in which the stigmas are thick, smooth and elongated and as a result have less twist than other types of Pushal saffron and have a higher coloring potency. The amount of yellowness or Khame in this category is less and the strings are larger. Therefore, among the specification saffron, the following can be mentioned:
- It has an interconnected skein
- Beautiful color
- Pieces apart
- The whiteness of the end of the stigma
- High stigma thickness
- No twist
2. Grade 2 Pushal saffron: This Pushal saffron has a stubborn stigma with normal thickness and more Khame and has a much better fragrant and flavor than the grade 3.
3. Grade 3 Pushal saffron: The stigmas of this category are very weak, fragile and thin. The reason for the formation of this category is insufficient water, unsuitable soil and weak saffron bulbs.
What are the uses of Pushal Saffron?
Due to its lower price than other saffron, Pushal saffron is usually used more for the production of various products in confectioneries and factories, as well as in home cooking. Usually people in Iran prefer to buy this type of saffron because it is easier to identify the originality of the product. Among the uses of straw saffron, the following can be mentioned:
- Use in ice cream factories and saffron syrups
- Use in confectionery and workshops for produce candy
- Use in restaurants to prepare a variety of foods and rice
Advantages of using Pushal Saffron
It is possible for everyone to recognize the originality of Pushal saffron due to the presence of Khame(yellowness), and as we mentioned above, this is one of the main benefits of Pushal saffron saffron. But apart from being fake or real, there are other benefits to using Pushal saffron, which we will discuss below:
- This type of saffron has a higher percentage of red stigma and therefore has a higher coloring potency.
- Due to the presence of part of the Khame, Pushal saffron has all the properties of a complete saffron string.
- The dyeing potency of Pushal saffron is up to 250 units due to the presence of more stigmas.
- Buyers are more confident in purchasing this product.
- Its price is lower than other saffron.
The difference between Pushal saffron and Sargol saffron
The most important difference between Pushal saffron and sargol saffron is in their appearance. In this regard, we suggest you read our other article about Negin saffron. The differences between these two saffrons include the following:
- Pushal saffron has all the stigma and part of the Khame, while Sargol saffron has only part of the stigma head.
- Sargol saffron has no yellowness or Khame and for this reason its strings are broken.
- Sargol saffron is better than Pushal saffron and is mostly used for export.
- The price of Pushal saffron is lower than Sargol saffron due to the presence of Khame(yellowness).
The last word
As mentioned above, Pushal saffron has all the stigma and part of the Khame. Pushal also has a high percentage of red stigma and therefore has a high coloring potency. The high quality of Pushal saffron and its relatively low price has made it one of the most popular types of exported saffron. You must keep in your mind that The dyeing potency of Pushal saffron is up to 250 units due to the presence of more stigmas.
Saffronfa Company, by providing all licenses and test sheets and certificates, offers you any amount of saffron you request with the best quality. Our experts are available at all hours of the day.
For more information and to buy different types of Pushal saffron, contact our experts.
WhatsApp number: 00905527976314