Persian saffron in Hong Kong
As reported, In 2019, Hong Kong imported $33.6M in Saffron and became the 2nd largest importer of Saffron in the world. In the same year, Saffron was the 875th most imported product in Hong Kong. Hong Kong imports Saffron primarily from:
- Iran ($32.1M)
- United Arab Emirates,($560k)
- Spain ($511k)
- Singapore ($207k)
- China ($64.8k).
But what really makes saffron red gold?
What we know as saffron is actually obtained from the stigma of the plant Crocus-sativus. This plant is from the genus Asparagus and Lily. Saffron has been known as a golden spice for many years due to its yellow color and high price. Saffron has been used for more than 4,000 years to flavor and flavor foods. Today, more than 90% of the world’s saffron is produced in Iran. But what ingredients does saffron consist of? We will explain to you in the following.
Saffron price in Hong Kong
- Price of Super-Negin of grade 1 Negin saffron: 592 to 666 US dollar
- Price of Grade 2 Negin-saffron: 462 to 481 US dollar
- Price of Sargol saffron: 425 to 462 US dollar
- Price of grade 1 or ghalamdar Pushal saffron: 425 to 444 US dollar
- Price of grade 2 Pushal saffron: 415 to 430 US dollar
- These prices are for one kilo of saffron
- The larger the volume of saffron purchased, the lower the price.
- The farther the buyer country is from the producer country, the higher the price of saffron for shipping costs.
- The announced price is related to this year’s saffron harvest season (2021). The price in different months definitely includes a decreasing or increasing change.
Saffron contains more than 150 ingredients , all of which we will not discuss here, and we will suffice to introduce just a few of them that are involved in the fragrance, color and taste of saffron.
- Carotenoids: A group of chemical compounds in plants that are responsible for the color of its leaves and petals. Also, these compounds are responsible for absorbing light in plants.
Crocetin and Crocin are the Carotenoids that make saffron yellow and red.
Other important carotenoids in saffron include Lycopene, Zeaxanthin and Beta-Carotene.
- Picrocrocin: The main responsible for the taste of saffron.
- Safranal: The main responsible for the fragrance of saffron.
The purple flowers of saffron bloom only during a six-week period, from late October to early December. In addition, it should be borne in mind that saffron can not be harvested in all seasons, but there is a special time to harvest it.
To plant saffron, we need higher relative humidity in the air. Also, sunlight should shine on flowers for a limited time because it can weaken the chemical structure of saffron. Therefore, it is better to harvest saffron every day before sunrise.
90% of the world’s saffron is grown in barren lands in Iran. A ship that is also difficult to pick up. Most of the effort is spent on saffron in Iran. Because to get one kilogram of dried saffron, farmers have to separate 500,000 flowers from the stigma for long hours and dry them with high accuracy. Despite these efforts, Spain packages Iranian saffron after purchasing it and exports it to other countries at several times the price. That is why it is said that Iran is the largest producer and Spain is the largest exporter of red gold.
What uses can be taken from saffron?
- Food Industries
- Painting industries
- Perfume and deodorant industries
- Medicinal industries
- Cosmetics Industries
Saffron types and prices
- Sargol saffron(all red): Sargol saffron contains only the red parts of the stigma. This saffron is the same saffron that is usually bought in the streets and markets in Iran. in fact, People usually only know this model of saffron as original saffron. Sargol saffron has a high coloring and is used more than other types of saffrons. For more information about the price of this type of saffron, please contact us.
- Pushal saffron: This saffron is also a valid saffron because part of the root (yellow part of the stigma) can be seen. If you see this root in saffron, you can be sure that the original saffron is in your hands. Most saffron cheats start when the root is removed. For more information about the price of this type of saffron, please contact us.
- Super-Negin: In super-Negin saffron, the top of each saffron string is larger and wider. This wide part greatly affects the color of saffron. Any saffron that has a wider and larger upper part is a better saffron for export. And of course, you should note that not every saffron can be wide and large, not every farmer can harvest super saffron. For more information about the price of this type of saffron, please contact us.
What defines the quality of saffron?
- Coloring: The main reason for the red color in saffron is a compound called Crocin with the chemical formula C44H64O24. Crocin is one of the Carotenoids in nature that dissolves easily in water. In fact, this solubility is one of the reasons for the widespread use of saffron as a colorant in food and medicine compared to other Carotenoids.
2. The color strength of saffron is one of the main parameters that determine the quality of saffron, which is evaluated by measuring the amount of Crocin in it. Crocin in saffron should be between 140 and 300 units. The higher amount of this substance, the higher the quality and value of saffron.
3. Fragrance: Another factor that determines the quality of saffron is that Safranal that causes its wonderful fragrance and it should be between 20 and 50 units.
4. Flavor: The Picrocrocin in saffron causes the bitter taste of original saffron and should be between 70 and 150.
5. Moisture: The amount of moisture can be affected on the quality of saffron. The percentage of this moisture should be less than 10 units.
6. Additives: The mass percentage of additives to saffron that is tested in the laboratory should be less than 2 units.
7. Length of saffron strings: This feature is especially important for Sargol saffron and determines the quality of saffron. This number can be between 10 and 30 mm.
8. Climatic conditions: The climate that saffron is grown in, also has a great impact on the quality and quality of saffron. Saffron is a subtropical herb that grows better in dry climates. And as you know, Iran has one of the best climates for saffron cultivation.
9. Harvest time: Another main factors of evaluation the quality of saffron is the time and hour of saffron harvest. Saffron flowers should be picked before sunrise and within 2 days of their growth so that they do not wither and their quality does not reduce.
Buying saffron in Hong Kong
Iranian saffron is unique in terms of color, fragrant and taste. The high quality of Iranian saffron has made it one of the first in the world among its competitors. Because saffron is so expensive, there are many counterfeits, which give the colour, but not the fragrance and flavour, of the real thing.
The spice is either sold in thin, delicate strands, or ground into a powder, with the former being far superior because it’s easier to see if it’s pure (although there are strands that look similar to saffron).
If you intend to sell saffron in Hong Kong, we recommend that you take high quality saffron with you. Saffron that is liked by foreign customers.
Negin saffron and Sargol and Pushal for export; The best types of saffron are for export. Our store exports saffron and sends the product to the customs of the destination country. Of course, saffron exports and customs costs are very different. By buying packaged saffron from Saffronfa, you can introduce Iranian saffron to other countries. Contact us to buy first-class export saffron at a reasonable price.
Whats app number: 00905527976314