- Does saffron go bad?
- Does saffron have an expiration date?
- How to store saffron?
These questions may arise in the mind of any buyer.
But first of all,
what is saffron?
Saffron is one of the oldest and most popular types of spices among Iranian families. This extraordinary spice dates back to more than 3,000 years ago and based on historical findings and excavations, it seems that it was the Iranians who introduced saffron to the Greeks, Chinese, Romans and other ethnic groups such as the Arabs and the method of planting and harvesting saffron. They were taught. Perhaps the special climate and special soil of Iran can be considered as one of the main and important reasons in the long history of this spice in Iran.
Conditions that are currently leading to the production of the highest quality saffron in the world in Iran. This spice is usually noticed because of its unique fragrant, taste and color. But if the quality or durability of saffron is lost, a special fragrant or color can no longer be expected from it. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the quality and durability of saffron. If you also have a question whether saffron expires and has an expiration date or not; Join us to answer this question.
Does saffron go bad?
All food products will eventually expire one day. Saffron is no exception to this rule. It is true that saffron has a high shelf life, but if stored properly, it can be used for up to 4 years. In fact, it is the storage conditions that can prevent the quality of this spice from deteriorating and increase its shelf life. If saffron is not stored properly, its appearance may not change, but it will soon lose many of its properties. Such saffron no longer has little coloring and flavoring power.
How to store saffron?
People usually put saffron in a cool, dry place so that its quality remains the same and does not change. Also many, buy dried saffron, pack it and put it in the refrigerator or freezer, But this is completely wrong; by this method, after a while, saffron loses its properties and becomes almost unusable. So make no mistake and learn how to store saffron in a principled way.
- Dry the saffron: If you have bought fresh saffron, the first step is to dry it. To dry saffron, place the saffron strands on a paper towel or thin cloth and place them in a warm, dry place. After about a week, the fresh saffron threads dry out.
- Say no to plastic containers: Saffron should be stored in a glass container away from air circulation. The container used must block air from the outside and must have a door. Therefore, choose a container that minimizes the amount of air in contact with the saffron. Also, do not use plastic containers to store saffron, as it will reduce the quality of this spice.
- Use the right shelf for storage: Saffron should be stored in a dark shelf. Therefore, choosing a shelf away from light and of course cool is suitable for storing saffron. Cabinets are usually a good choice for storing saffron. If the cabinet is wooden and away from the stove or heat sources, it will be a good choice for storing saffron.
- There is no place for saffron in the refrigerator: The ideal storage temperature for saffron is below 20 ° C (68 ° F). But avoid storing saffron in the refrigerator, because by taking saffron out of the refrigerator, saffron moisture is lost and temperature changes can cause various problems, including the sticking of the strings and the growth of mold. It is interesting to know that the refrigerator can maintain the quality of saffron for only two weeks. Therefore, it is not a good choice for storing saffron.
In general, it can be said that saffron also expires and the expiration date of saffron depends entirely on its storage conditions. Therefore, if you want to increase the shelf life of saffron and maintain its quality over time, be sure to pay attention to the proper storage conditions of saffron.