Saffron stigma inhibits the growth and proliferation of cancer cells, while having no effect on normal cell growth, and also reduces the side effects of common treatments.
Cancer is recognized as one of the leading causes of death in the world and is one of the diseases that cause the most fear in patients with it and is increasing in developing and developed countries. Reports indicate that more than 8 million people are diagnosed with cancer worldwide each year. Changes in cancer patterns are due to phenomena such as migration, which reduces the role of genetics in the differences observed between different communities.
Extensive geography, developing economy, aging population, growing western lifestyle, serious environmental pollution, uncontrollable infections affecting cancer, illegal population growth, etc. have had a rapid increase in the growth of various diseases in different countries. Research has shown that most cancers can be stopped by lifestyle and environmental changes, including following a proper diet.
Decades of efforts to overcome diseases such as cancer have led to efforts to use safer and better drugs and available natural ingredients such as vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices as one of the most important approaches in stopping cancer. It is known in the present age.
Among spices, saffron has attracted a lot of interest and attention for reasons such as laboratory experiments, properties and various applications of its compounds. The tested samples showed the preventive activities of saffron and its raw materials in stopping cancer and the growth of tumors and cancer cells.
Cancer and Saffron
There has been a lot of research on the effects of saffron and its active ingredients in stopping and treating various types of cancer, although the exact mechanism and method of action have not been clearly defined. In some of these studies, it is stated that the existing and effective compounds of saffron have been extracted from other sources and in some other studies, saffron has been used as one of the compounds of herbal medicines or as a raw material of a medicine in the treatment of cancer.
evidence suggests that saffron extract and its crocin, crocetin and safranal have a selective toxicity effects against cancer cells and also may have cancer preventive functions. However, Saffron and its constituent’s toxicity against normal cells is negligible and they are even non-toxic in oral administration.
In this regard, I refer you to these articles:
- The toxicity of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) and its constituents against normal and cancer cells.
- Cancer Chemopreventive and Tumoricidal Properties of Saffron (Crocus sativus L.).
- Biomedical properties of saffron and its potential use in cancer therapy and chemoprevention trials.
Saffron neutralizes free radicals
Studies have shown that saffron is rich in antioxidants, and this antioxidant helps neutralize harmful free radicals. Free radical damage causes chronic diseases such as cancer.
Saffron prevents the growth of cancer cells
In test tube studies, saffron and its compounds have been shown to selectively kill or stop intestinal cancer cells while leaving normal cells unharmed.
This effect also applies to the skin, bone marrow, prostate, lung, breast, cervix and several other cancer cells.
Saffron increases the effect of chemotherapy
While these findings from test tube studies are promising, the anti-cancer effects of saffron in humans have been poorly studied and more research is needed.
In the following, we will refer to other healing properties of saffron. For further reading, I refer you to our other article on this subject:
Health benefits of saffron
The chemical compounds of saffron directly affects the health of the body, But here in general, we mention some of them:
- Saffron actually is a natural antioxidant: This antioxidant, protects the skin from the sun’s rays and prevents the growth of cancer cells in the skin, consequently! So because of this magic feature, saffron is used in production of the creams and lotions.
- Continuous use of saffron increase the amount of white blood cells and Thanks to this feature, saffron greatly protects the body against a variety of viruses. some studies Acknowledge that the compounds of saffron have the ability to kill colon cancer cells or suppress their growth.
- Also frequent use of saffron in daily meals improves our mood. Let me say that saffron can be counted as a serious treatment for depression.
- Saffron, can be considered as a reduction of PMS symptoms and actually a treatment.
- If you are in diet or process of losing weight, by adding saffron in your meals, you can curb your appetite and also reduce your snaking.